Monday, July 23, 2012

One shot at Forever

This isn't what I intend to be my normal blog, but this is very near and dear to my heart.

The picture above is my Uncle Mark when I was very young and he was a senior in high school.

On the the front of the book titled "One Shot At Forever" a small town, an unlikely coach and a magical baseball season in 1971. I could write the whole jacket on this book but I will just hit the highlights.

Let's start with Coach Sweet who also taught English or Sweet as I knew him when I was little, a hippie who warmed up his team to Jesus Christ Superstar and a very small farming community in central Illinois who emerged from a field of 370 teams  to make it to the state final!!!!!

Unfortunately they lost the state final game, but it made a huge impact on all of the players, parents, students and basically the whole town of Macon. That day my mom said there wasn't one person left in town. They had all gone to Peoria (where I live now) for the final game.

If you get a chance to read this fabulous book written by Sport's Illustrated writer Chris Ballard, do it you won't regret it. A few of the players went on to the big leagues, even my uncle was scouted by the Cardinals, go figure my husbands favorite team.

I know blogs are supposed to be short and to the point but this has a lot of emotion for me. We miss you dearly Uncle Mark!


-- Tami Zachman

Inspired Events by Tami

PHONE (309) 256-4950

EMAIL tami@inspiredeventsbytami.com

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is appreciated. Comments are moderated to avoid spam, abuse, and trolling. Approved comments are published within 24 hours.